Here's a shot of part of the front room last night. You don't want to know what the rest of the apartment looks like.
Monday, October 19, 2009
Getting Sick Just Ain't What It Used To Be
Remember the days when you got sick and stayed home from school? Your mom would dote on you and make you chicken noodle soup. She would tuck you under a blanket on the couch so that you could watch cartoons. She would bring you saltines and 7Up. Those were the good old days. But now YOU are the mother and--- newsflash, honey!---not only is there no mom to tuck you in and take care of you, but you can't even allow yourself to lie in bed and watch cartoons anymore because, well, it's your turn to do the doting now. I have caught bugs here and there since Callum was born, but this is the first time that I have felt so sick that I needed to lie in bed all day sleeping and moaning. Tough luck for me. There is a baby to feed, change, and entertain. Luckily for me, I have trained my baby to entertain himself rather adeptly by ignoring him when I want to do things like check my email and make dinner. And he is pretty good at it. The only catch is that the way he entertains himself is by crawling around the house leaving a path of complete and utter chaos and destruction in his path. We're talking pulling books off of bookshelves (and occasionally ripping off the covers), getting into our magazine basket and ripping the magazines to shreds, pulling all of the items out of cupboards and drawers, pulling my water bottles off of tables so that the water spills everywhere, and so on and so forth. I do envy mothers who don't have early crawlers. Yes, I do. I miss the days where he would sit in front of a mirror and bang the toys within his reach while I ignored him instead of tearing the house to shreds. Usually much of my day is spent attempting to do damage control and trying to entertain him in more productive, and less destructive, ways, but yesterday I was just too exhausted and achy. I resigned myself to the fact that I was not going to be able to rest and get well like I needed to since Logan had to work from bright and early in the morning until after 9 at night, so I decided to plop myself down in our armchair and just watch Callum do his worst. The result was quite frightening. Logan swears he will be home early enough to help me clean it up tonight. Of course, by then it will be even worse. I have no idea how my mom kept up with the three of us for all of those years while suffering from cancer---and without even complaining!---but I do know one thing: I miss those days of her tucking me in and feeding me chicken noodle soup!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm sorry you're so sick, Sister!! I wish I was there to dote on you!! I think it's great that you just let him tear the place apart.
I am sorry you are sick! It is no fair that moms aren't allowed to be sick!
Know what that is a classic picture? Because he looks like he is in HEAVEN! What a rascal. Sorry you are so sick. My phone has been broken so I couldn't even call. Poop. Love you.
I think it's amazing that this is the only time your house looks at all messy. Mine looks that way a lot more often than I'd like to admit...and not just when I'm sick. It stinks doesn't it? But just keep reminding yourself that this is how they learn...by exploring! Sending chicken soup vibes your way!
Post a Comment