Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My Freezer Door: A Masterpiece

I kept seeing cute pictures of lined up containers of homemade baby food on my friends' blogs and I thought to myself, "Oh, that looks fun and easy and it would save us money and make me feel all domestic at the same time. I should do it!" However, now that I have done it I must say that I find it to be a pain in the butt. I can see how it would be easy once your baby starts eating a slightly mashed up version of the food the rest of the family is eating, but making purees is really a pain as far as I'm concerned. The only reason I have persisted in doing it is because I think that it does in fact save us money. My first night trying to make pureed carrots I was enormously frustrated because our food processor was broken and our blender was the pits, but Logan did me an unintentional favor by accidentally breaking the blender the next day while washing it. I went and bought a new blender/food processor combo and the rest of my purees have gone much better, but it's still a long, messy process. On the upside, I did finally find a legitimate way to clear out all of the frozen milk that was filling up my freezer! In hopes that I won't have to do any more of this for a while, I made and froze significant stores of the following foods: carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, acorn squash, peaches, kiwis, parsnips, pears, peas and green beans. You can admire them all in the picture of my freezer door. I was just so pleased to be done and so pleased with myself for sticking it out that I couldn’t help but take a picture of my handiwork. Oh yes, and did you notice the bag of homemade cookie dough balls behind the teething rings? Those are just for me.
Callum and his "Da-da" reaping the benefits of my labors.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

You are a domestic goddess!

Laura said...

MMmmmm I want cookie dough. But I will pass on the sweet potato puree, thank you.

The Carlson Crew said...

Domestic Diva!

amylouwhosews said...

you will be glad you did this! It does save money, plus it tastes better and I think transitions them to eating regular food easier. But that's just me.

Angelavon said...

awesome. i bet it tastes better too:)