My mom died seven years ago today. Sometimes I can't believe it's been that long, but most of the time it seems like so much longer. It seems like she's been gone forever. She never knew Logan and she's never played with Callum. It's like she was a huge part of my last life, but she doesn't even exist in this one. It breaks my heart. I used to have such vivid memories of her. I could still hear her laugh and her voice, and I almost felt like she would be calling me or coming around the corner any second. I don't feel that way anymore, though. Now I watch home videos and get surprised when I hear what her voice sounds like. I feel like I have to fight to remember her, and it's only been 7 years. What will it be like when I'm 81 and she's been gone for 60 years? Will it feel like she ever really existed? Like she was ever real?
My mom's dad, my Grandpa Eric, died before I was born. My mom and her siblings talked about him all of the time. I heard so many funny stories about carefree, goofy Grandpa Eric. But I don't know him. I don't love him deeply and look forward to seeing him and snuggling him like I do with my Grandpa Jack. I hate that Callum is going to feel that way about my mom. I hate that she will always be a character to him. A loving, fun, inspiring character, but still, just a character. If she was alive she would have played an integral part in his life. He would have adored her. She would have been obsessed beyond reason with him.
When someone so important and so extraordinary is gone, everyone tries to make it seem glossy. We say how lucky we were to have her for as long as we did. And we were! Especially since the doctors thought you should have died 13 years earlier than she did. I would rather have my mother for 21 years than any other mother in the world for 100! She was something special, and our relationship was something special. But that doesn't change how much I miss her. In fact, I think it makes it harder. Every challenge and heartbreak that my sisters and I face is magnified because of the loss of our mother. Even joyous occasions like our wedding days and the birth of my son were tinged with sorrow because our best friend was missing from the room. People say she knew Callum before he was here, and that she is always watching me. I'm sure that's true, but I want to see her hug Callum. I want to talk to her, not just feel some nebulous presence in my life. When Callum was born I cried every day for a week because I wanted her with me. Rachel said to me today that she thinks when we see Mom again in the next life it will be like a reunion with a dear friend where you just pick up where you left off, like you were never apart, only 100x better. I agree. I think that is what will happen. I am not worried about our reunion. I am worried about all of the time that I still have to get through until that moment. She was amazing, we were blessed to have her, she is watching me, and she must be proud of me and pleased with the way my life is turning out. I believe all of that. But it doesn't change that she's gone. And that sucks.

9 comments:
Sarah, thanks for posting about your mom today - and for being REAL. I can't begin to imagine what life is like without your mom, but I love the idea that when you see her again, you will pick right up where you left off (only 100 times better :) She will undoubtedly know Callum, and know what an incredible woman you've become - but when you finally get to SEE her again, and when you get to watch her hug your son... words can't express the joy it will surely be.
Sending you hugs today.
Love you, Sissy!
I know, sis. It really does suck. But I love you. Wish you were here!!!
You make me want to cry. I appreciate your post because it can be easy to take the things we have for granted. I love my mom and talk to her often but too often take that for granted. I am so sorry your mom isn't part of your life now, at least not that you can see. I thought about her a lot today too. She was/is an amazing woman and a wonderful example of how to live life. I hope you ate something rich and chocolatey today. In honor of her. :)
What a beautiful post Sarah! Your mom sounds like an amazing person! Thank you for starting my day off with a tear ;)
XOXO
You make me cry. :( I love you!!
Sarah, I love your straight forwardness with your thoughts. You are too amazing for words. I love you!
Sary...I love you. I always have and I always will. Since the second we met, I knew we'd be friends for life...and after too! But I love you for so many more reasons than you know. You and I have faced similiar challenges. You and I have served together and have been in similiar situations. I will never forget the story Rachel wrote about your mom and how I bawled my eyes out the night I read it in Nauvoo. I felt like I knew her by Rachel's description of your mother. It seemed I knew your mother inside and out. I can't wait until the day I get to meet her. She is incredible because she has 3 incredible daughters that carry on her legacy. I love you. Have fun in Nauvoo with Stewie and do a little "Cher" for me! Love Love Love you!
Sarah,
You are so incredible! I love this post, and every tear it caused to run down my face here at work. I cannot wait to meet your mother. I know she was incredible, but she sure has 3 pretty amazing daughters following in her footsteps. Thank you for being so honest and raw about yoru feelings. I think this is healthy for the heart, and inspiring for others. Thanks for reminding us to live for today and cherish the ones we have! I cherish you, my dear friend!
Post a Comment