Thursday, June 10, 2010

Language Explosion

One of my friends posted on her blog that both of her kids had a "language explosion" around ages 14 and 15 months.  Maybe it's a universal thing, because it's sure true for my little guy as well!  And so, I now present to you a list of his new words (PRIOR to our Utah trip, a description and record of which are still to come).  Prepare to be impressed.  Well, if you are one of his aunts or grandparents.  :)

*"wah-wah" = water (He says this in reference to drinking water, but the first time he said it was when he was looking at the Thomas' swimming pool in amazement.)

*"juice"  (Now that he knows how to ASK for juice it is much harder to feign ignorance and only give him water when he wants juice.  I will hand him a cup with milk or water in it and he will look at it carefully and then hand it back to me with a look that says, "Come on, Mom, I'm no dummy!" and say very slowly and carefully, so I am sure to understand, "JUICE."  It's so cute that I can't resist but give him what he wants.)

*"gilk" = milk  (We are thinking that this may be what he meant by "guck" all along.)

*"helloooooo" (Always said with a cellphone held to his ear.)

* "Ak oo" = thank you  (I wish I heard this one more frequently.)  :)

* "Yeah"  (a.k.a. yes)

*  "Wow"

*  "Whoa!"

*  "Whee"

*  "Ow"

*  "Bub-os" = bubbles  (I have recently started blowing bubbles with him.  He is fascinated by them.)

*  "Let's eat"  (He's been saying "Let's go!" for quite a while, but he has recently added "Let's eat!" to his repertoire, although he doesn't say it often.) 

*  "Mother"  (He still says "Mama" most of the time, but his REAL favorite thing to shout with glee is "DA-D-DYYYY!"  Naturally.)

*  "Ed-o" = Elmo 

*  "GO!"  (He uses this fairly interchangeably with "no."  Anytime he wants us to leave him alone or take away something he will push us/it away and say, "Go!"  It's pretty annoying, actually.) 

He also imitates lots of our sentences.  One day he dropped an orange and I said, "Where did that orange go?" in a high, sing-song voice, and he echoed a muddled version of that sentence in the same tone of voice for days.  It was hilarious.

There are more new words to come with the report of the Utah trip that we are currently on.  Are you waiting with baited breath?  

4 comments:

Laura said...

Oh yes. I am waiting to hear Aunt LA LA.

Rachel said...

I like the image of him pushing you away while saying, "GO!" :)

Sis. Stokes said...

What a little chatter box! I've got a friend who's husband only wanted juice when he was little and so his parents convinced him that milk was "cow juice" and that water was "tap juice" or "sink juice." It worked for them, though it sounds as though it may be a little more difficult to convince your little genius. :-p

Brian and Emily said...

Just got your comment. I haven't been back to Nauvoo either, totally want to though. Want to meet in Nauvoo in July? I'm serious. I miss you and would LOVE to see you... and Nauvoo would be cool too.