Saturday, May 30, 2009

Buddy Man is Here!

"Buddy Man" and Gramps...Best Buddies All the Way!

When we arrived in Colorado two weeks ago we found several signs hung around the house, one of which reads "Buddy Man is Here!" in colorful, if sloppy, block letters. It was made by my dad. He is OBSESSED!!! (Aren't we all?!) He bought a Pack n Play before we came, and then he had Laura get on Craigslist and get a stroller, car seat with bases, and a swing all in preparation for our arrival. Think he's a proud grandpa? Wow. Logan and his sister Elise are here studying for their first medical licensing exam, and Cal and I are hanging out. We have been busy seeing old friends, playing with Aunt Laura, making dinner each night, and a whole host of other fun activities. (Along with the more mundane, and surprisingly more time-consuming, activities that come along with having a baby...such as feeding and changing diapers. So many diapers.) I am LOVING being here! The weather is amazing (and so not humid!), I have a big kitchen, decent oven, and a dishwasher to make mealtime prep much more enjoyable, and I adore having all of this space! No more crammed little apartment that looks cluttered and dirty the instant Callum and I begin our day. The best part is that my youngest sister Laura and her husband Sam were here for our first week and a half, and Callum and I were in heaven! Laura spent every day with us, often doing dull things such as errands and cooking dinner, but EVERYTHING is more fun when you have a sister with you! I am so lucky to have the sisters that I have. They are by far my best friends in the world, and they are SO MUCH FUN!!! Laura and Sam left two days ago and I have been in a funk ever since. At night "Mister C" gets lots of quality time with Grandpa, which they both love. In addition, he has now met his Great Grandma and Grandpa Westover several times. Last weekend was a fun madhouse when the whole McKenna clan joined us for the weekend of Callum's blessing in church. That will get its own entry once I have a copy of the pictures from that weekend that Callum's Aunt Taren took. Below are a few picture highlights from the trip so far. I am going to take Callum on a nice stroll around the neighborhood without having to try to single-handedly get a stroller out of the apartment building which has no handicapped entrance, only stairs and a revolving door. Oh, and did I mention it will be in the perfectly warm, NOT HUMID air?! It will be.
Callum loved meeting his Great Grandparents!

Bonding with Great Grandma Elaine


This is how Callum has to sleep in Grandpa's freezing cold basement. Cutest!


On one of Aunt Laura's last days with Callum she couldn't bear to put him down...even while she vacuumed!


Callum and Uncle Sam were both enthralled by the Nuggets game. Looks like I'm in trouble! Yikes!


Aunt Laura and her little Cal Pal loved playing together. We miss her!


Best Thing Since I Last Blogged: Callum's blessing. It was beautiful and the weekend was so much fun with so many relatives around. More on that during a later post.

Worst Thing Since I Last Blogged: Callum's nap schedule and general temperament is being majorly thrown off by all of the visitors and excitement. He is already going through withdrawals now that the McKennas and Laura and Sam are gone. Going home to Saint Louis is going to be fairly miserable. For both of us.

6 comments:

Obese Elise said...

Those are the cutest pictures! I'm very disappointed there's no picture with me though. Hmmph.

Chelsea said...

Ha ha! Laura looks like the quintessential 1950's housewife, advertising some new-fangled contraption to streamline your housework AND child-rearing duties. Hee hee hee.

tmckenna said...

I made the picture CD, I promise! My dad's just burning the DVDs of Callum, and then you can have them.

Laura said...

I MISS YOU GUYS! (And I would like to add that he came up with the idea of block, shadowed letters all on his own. Why is he the cutest?

Sarah said...

What a great opportunity for you to be with your family, and for them to see sweet Callum. I feel so lucky that I get to meet him in just a few days. Ahhh, we're so excited to see you guys. BTW-I'm glad you're with family while Logan is studying. I know a girl who flies home with her little boy twice a year when her husband is preparing for his dental exams. It makes things easier for him to study, and she doesn't feel like a completely neglected wife. :) Hope everything is going wonderfully. See you soon.

amylouwhosews said...

I love the picture of Laura vacuuming with him! Hilarious! I'm hiring her to come stay when I have another baby!

He and sam look pretty cozy too! cutest!