Thursday, March 11, 2010

I Left my BFF in San Francisco

I am so blessed in that I have found such amazing girlfriends through the years.  I just adore them.  I have been picking up lifelong friends since the fifth grade.  It's such a blessing to have wonderful, fun women who love you!  One of my closest friends is Heather Westover Hadfield.  She and I were on our school's dance/drill team together in high school, as well as in the school musicals, and we later became roommates at BYU.  We are also distantly related, if you couldn't tell by our common maiden name, Westover.  Our great-great-great-great grandpas were brothers.  Funny coincidence.  I adore her.  ADORE her!  She is so stinking fun and absolutely HILARIOUS!  Have you seen Legally Blonde?  Well then, you may have met Heather in a way.  Don't you wish you had a friend as fun, cute, sweet, bubbly, and genuine as Elle Woods?  Too bad for you!  I already do!  Heather and I haven't seen each other since I was a bridesmaid at her wedding (Such an honor!) four years ago!  It is hard not to see one of your "BFFs" in that long!  Now we are both moms, and it was so fun to meet one another's kids and catch up.  (Callum loved Heather's cute two-year-old, Sydney, but Sydney wasn't too thrilled about the annoying baby who kept taking her toys.  Haha.)  Unfortunately, it was rainy and gloomy during our stay there, but it was ok because I have been to San Francisco and seen the sights before, and all I really wanted to do was sit around with my girlfriend, eating and gabbing the day away.  Which we DID!  It was so relaxing!  And Heather is pregnant, so she wanted to take it easy even more, which was perfect for me.  Everytime one of our kids would go down for a nap, we would be like, "Alright, I'm going to sleep too, see you later!" and we would just smile and nod understandingly.  Combine that with divine cupcakes from Sprinkles Bakery and you've got yourself a perfect trip!  It was especiallly enjoyable because she is such a dear old friend and someone who was with me during the time when I lost my mom, so she is someone that I instinctively trust and feel safe around, and we were able to open up and talk about hard things and the struggles of life and motherhood that I don't usually talk about.  It was like we had never been apart.  It was exactly what I needed, and I was so sad to leave her.  I had scheduled a short trip so as not to overstay my welcome, but we were both so sad when it was over.  It was too, too short.  Next time I'm coming for longer, Heather!  I LOVE YOU!!!!
 It stopped raining for long enough for us to go see the sights at the Pier one day.
 Ghiradelli's....YUM!

Another treat was that my cousin Brandon Fuller and his adorable wife Ali live in San Francisco, so we got to see them as well!  They were so kind to come to me at Heather's house so that I wouldn't have to worry about finding my way around or messing with Callum's naps.  They got to meet Callum and it was so wonderful to catch up.  They are such great people.  The first time I met Ali I knew that she was a kindred spirit.  In fact, I had thought to myself, "Oh my gosh, if this girl had lived with Heather and I in college we would have had SO MUCH FUN!"  Funny, huh?  It was so great to see them!

3 comments:

Chelsea said...

I knew you guys were roommates in college, but I didn't know (or I forgot... I have Swiss cheese mom brain now) you guys were friends from high school!
I love visiting old friends, and I love hearing about your fun times!

Jessie's Jargon said...

Ahh! The two Westover's together again! I haven't seen Heather since her Wedding Dinner either! I'm glad that I can at least keep track of you two through a blog, but I hope to see you both sometime soon. I am so happy you were able to get together!

Laura said...

I am so jealous that you got to see Brandon and Ali! No fair. And I absolutely adore that picture of the two cuties in those hats. Precious.