This fall the McKennas started dropping hints about wanting me to bring Callum to Utah to visit them. Frankly, I am so sick of traveling alone with him (as a lap child no less!) that the thought of another trip made me want to yank all of my hair out. But I was feeling guilty, because I had taken him to see Rachel and Ryan a couple of months earlier in Buffalo. The answer came to me like a lightning bolt: Logan had October off! Logan took a month off in October to study for his Step II Boards (Ain't 4th year grand?!), and I figured he could wait a week to start studying, so I suggested that HE travel alone to Utah with Callum to visit his family! EVERYONE wins! Logan's parents got what they really wanted: their son and their one and only grandchild all to themselves with no meddling daughter-in-law to say, "That's enough cookies!" to either of her men! Callum got what he really wanted: nonstop attention and spoiling from his energetic and doting grandparents. Logan got what he wanted: a week of games, movies, hiking, and excellent food at his parents' house, a place where our child is so well cared for that we almost forget that we have actual responsibilities as parents. (Seriously. Logan was there for about 5 days and only changed three diapers. Amazing.) And, most importantly in my mind, I got what I wanted: MOTHER ALONE TIME!!! It's my favorite thing. Sometimes when Logan gets home and says, "What do you want to do?" I can only think to reply, "To read my magazine alone for 10 minutes." Thus Logan dubbed such activities as my "Mother Alone Time." Sigh. If only I could get MORE of it! But that week I sure as heck did! While Logan's kind mother was fretting over the phone about whether it was ok to take my men away from me for a week I was dancing around our apartment with joy. Literally. I will admit it, I cried when I dropped them off at the airport. After all, it was the first time I had been away from my baby boy overnight! Heck, it was the first time that I had been away from my baby for longer than a 6 hour stretch! And he's almost 2! But by the time I got home I was ready to do the little dance again. And I did! If you know me well, you don't doubt it. While I spent my time sleeping in, making jewelry, crafting up a storm (see Halloween wreath, pictured above), and posting all of my teacher supplies on ebay and craigslist to sell (Not a fun job, but one I'd been needing to get done forever!), Logan and Callum had an absolutely wonderful time in Logan, Utah. It was glorious for all!
Tricycles Rule!
Logan's parents have saved this little tricycle all these years.
It is so cute!
It is so cute!
Cruising with Grandma!
Zooming with Aunt Taren!
Having a snack with a nifty new Thomas the Tank Engine book.
Choo-choo!
Off to the park with Grandpa....
There's always time for game playing in the McKenna household!
Hiking away!
Cache Valley, Utah is a truly beautiful place!











7 comments:
Thank goodness for alone time! Even without kids, being a teacher, I can appreciate such a sentiment!! Love you Sary!!
I think this is the most brilliant idea ever. And I plan on implementing it as soon as possible. GLAD YOU GOT A BREAK!!!
Nice set-up! I bet you'll have lots more of these to come.
It was fun to have Logan visit us; I just posted some pics you might enjoy.
xo
Violadiva
Jealous! I haven't had a night alone in 3+ years. Glad you got a break, I imagine it's nice to miss the kids (for a short time of course). :)
You are so lucky! I soooooooooooooooooo need some mother alone time, DESPERATELY! Does Logan want to take my children to Utah? :) Glad you had some good break time, every mom needs it. I can't get over how thin Logan looks in these photos compared to a year ago. I'm doing good old WW and it's working but very slowly. Miss ya!!!!! When will you know about residency?
Brilliant! I always get SO excited if Brian happens to take the kids somewhere for 1 hour, I would just be elated to get a day, let alone multiple days to myself at home. I bet you were so recharged.
I hope you got rid of a lot of teacher stuff because you may be making a big move to a tiny apartment soon...
Post a Comment