LOOK GOOD.
That's right. You heard me. Look good. Both you AND the kid have to LOOK GOOD. You don't have to be a fashion model, but you need to look pulled together and "with it." When I wear my sweat pants, glasses, and no makeup and Callum has a dirty shirt and a snotty face then people have no tolerance for us. He starts to act up and they glare and roll their eyes like, "Come on, lady. Get a grip and control your baby! Who lets morons have kids?!" But if I am wearing makeup and a somewhat cute outfit, and Callum is in his cute overalls with a clean face they say (out loud!), "Oh, poor sweet baby! He is having a sad time!" and make funny faces at him to try to cheer him up. I kid you not. It works with the passengers and the flight attendants. If you look like you have your act together then no one suspects that you don't. They just assume you're having one bad, isolated day. And that's why, even though I hardly ever bother to wear makeup anymore in my day-to-day life, I ALWAYS put it on when I fly with Callum. Even for a 6 a.m. flight.
8 comments:
hilarious! although i don't doubt its effectiveness! i am tucking this piece of info away for the next time i fly with logan.
Hmmm... I should try this next time! Ha! This must involve not getting a 7 AM flight..
Yup - I'd say this is true in a lot of public situations. I guess that is just the american culture - if you look a mess, it is probably your fault. If you 'have it together' then you are just dealing the best that you can.
glad i could help out! :) for thanksgiving i'm flying solo with TWO girls so we're going to have to look three times as cute as normal, heaven help me!
This cracked me up because it is sadly so true!!! When you see someone who looks put together you think totally different than when you see someone who looks like they are slowly falling apart! Mmm...I probably look more like the latter category most days.
I can totally believe it. Sad but true--if you look white trashy, people are going to treat you poorly. Good thing both you and Cal are cute!!!
This is true even in every-day life. When I'm still in my pajamas at 3:00 in the afternoon, and all my kids are, too - and they're covered in food and snot...well, I just feel like garbage. But! When I get ready in the morning (even if it's just getting dressed, make-up can be optional), I feel like the messy house and energetic children are just part of something greater. Or, at least, I feel cuter while I'm changing diapers. And man, I swear that it's easier for teachers to be patient with the kids who might be precocious and overbearing, but at least their teeth are brushed and they're adorable :) It's our saving grace for Olivia.
So, so true. I think it applies all the time with babies. Even when they're not acting up. If they are dressed cutely, with their nose wiped and their hair brushed, everybody wants to be social with them, cooing and commenting, which in turn makes the child more interactive and even more cute! Which I'm sure you get a lot because your little guy always looks like a stud muffin!
Post a Comment