Friday, October 10, 2008

Fitting the Stereotype

Throughout my life I have been stereotyped many times, whether because of my religion, activities and interests, appearance and dress, or my college major choice and resulting career. But, in all reality, I have never truly fit completely into any of the stereotypes that people have tried to use to categorize or understand me. That all changed last week. Last week I succumbed to hormonal peer pressure and became the stereotypical pregnant woman, complete with MUST-HAVE cravings and nonsensical crying. Poor, sweet Logie! Up until this point in my pregnancy I haven't been craving much other than a refreshing citrus drink made by mixing 3/4 parts lemonade to 1/4 part fresca, along with my lifelong love affair with my sweet-tooth, of course. The cravings have been very manageable and very cheap. My emotions also have not been much more irrational than usual, which really isn't saying much I suppose. (Ok, I'll admit it...once during the first trimester I did start sobbing when I discovered that Logan had eaten the last cup of tapioca pudding.) Not so much anymore. Cravings had been popping up more and more, but Logan tries to be very diligent about our budget, so unless it is already in the house I usually just pout to no avail. However, last week I lost all control of my rational side and for the first time sent him running out into the night trying to find a way to pacify me. We were watching an episode of The Big Bang Theory on DVD when the drama began to unfold. (By the way, if you haven't seen that show yet, you need to! It is HILARIOUS!!! It is amazingly enjoyable to both the science geek in our home and the sassy girl married to him with the average intelligence level. Hmmm...I wonder if it could have something to do with character identification?) The characters were eating Thai food and Indian food in the same episode and I became frantic, declaring that I needed some ethnic food NOW! Logan patiently pointed out that we had no cheap take-out places near us and that I had just eaten. This did not work! In fact, it only drove me into more of a tizzy, with me making all sorts of unfair and untrue accusations about him being the only husband in the world not fulfilling his pregnant wife's cravings and not even caring that I was tired and sick and cranky because of his baby! I worked myself up to the point where tears were streaming rapidly and Logan was sprinting out of the apartment to get me my favorite dish from the only Indian place near us, an expensive restaurant we have only been to twice for special occasions. When he returned looking anxious, but anticipating a calmer, more reasonable Sarah, and presented me with my divine dish, I started bawling again, this time because I knew that we couldn't afford the food he had just gotten me. Wow. The next day when I declared that I wouldn't eat anything but salad for dinner he dashed out of the house before I could even finish my sentence in an attempt to avoid the waterworks and drama that were sure to ensue should he stay behind. Poor Logan! :) I am happy to say that things have simmered back down since then and that today when I was told that we didn't have extra money in the budget this week for ice cream I was able to say ok and go back to reading my pregnancy book. Logan, my dear, I would like to take this opportunity to say that you are not the only husband in the world who isn't jumping to fill his pregnant wife's every wish and desire, but you may just be the most patient! I love you!

Best Thing Since I Last Blogged: Going to lunch with my fun Aunt Muriel at Companion Bakery, a place I crave regularly---whether pregnant or not!---but rarely get to go.

Worst Thing Since I Last Blogged: Heartburn. Especially in the middle of the night. It is not fun to try to sleep in a recliner!

5 comments:

Laura said...

OH MY GOSH!!! You are out of control. But who can blame you. I could go for a plate of tikka masala right now . . .

malibumoons said...

You are hilarious Sarah. The only thing I ever craved when I was prego, and that was only once in the middle of the night was...bacon. WEird, I don't ever even eat bacon.

The Carlson Crew said...

Sarah, isn't this the craziest experience? Who would have thought that we normal, generally rational and intelligent human beings could have melt-downs over tapioca? I enjoyed that story, by the way. Logan's lucky to have you...just remind him that emotions are part of the enthusiastic and passionate person you are, and that they will probably show up in the little baby inside you. Can't wait to hear what you're having!
PS - I'm seriously impressed by the maturity of accepting the "no ice cream" rule. I probably would just sneak around and get it without Pete knowing it :)

Marissa said...

You are so funny! Oh, and my drink of choice was similar to yours-75% fresca and 25% pink lemonade-so yummy!

SDtheblogmeister said...

Well, I must say that was pretty hilarious, and also outrageous. You're just like SD. xo