Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Noah's Big Weekend

A perfect little family.

I have a nephew named Noah.  Did you know that?  Probably, but maybe not, seeing as how he was born in August and I am not even close to caught up to August.  So let me share the good news: I HAVE A NEPHEW!!!  :)

Noah Atticus Nielson entered the world on August 1, 2011.  (There WILL be a post specifically about this day when I get caught up.)  His awesome birth parents are Katie and Drew.  Katie is my brother-in-law Ryan's second cousin once removed.  Or something.  She is a distant relative that Ryan had never met, and now she is one of the most important people in Rachel and Ryan's lives!  Katie and Drew made the brave decision early in her pregnancy to place Noah in an adoptive home, and Rachel and Ryan were the amazingly blessed couple that was chosen to raise this little snoogfest.  I love his fat face.  And he loves my big jewelry and extreme enthusiasm.  :)

It's official!  Hooray!
Happy witnesses: Aunt Sarah, Bapa, Grandma Sally Nielson, Aunt Ashley

Noah was born in Utah, and the adoption laws there have the birthparents sign the adoption papers 24 hours after the baby's birth, but then the baby is technically in the custody of the state for six months so that a social worker can check in on the adoptive family once a month to ensure that they are indeed providing a safe and loving home for their newest addition.  Well, Noah is finally six months old, and a couple of weekends ago his adoption was finalized with the state, which allowed Rachel and Ryan to finally be sealed to him in the temple for time and all eternity, and to give him a baby blessing in church.  (We don't baptize babies because we believe that they are born pure and incapable of sin, and that men are punished only for their own sins, not for Adam's transgression.)  Loads of family came to witness Noah being sealed into our family for time and all eternity in the temple.  It is the most sacred and wonderful of all of the religious ceremonies in our religion.  Aunt Sarah and Aunt Laura had a hard time not weeping.  I'm pregnant, what can I say?!  And as for Aunt Laura, well, she's always a leaky faucet.  :)  Aunt Laura came into town, Ryan's parents and siblings came into town, and Katie and Drew also came into town with their parents and Katie's Grandma Edna, who is Ryan's Great Aunt.  It was a crazy, busy weekend, but a wonderful one.  Several of Ryan's siblings stayed here, and the big gatherings were all here, so this house was HOPPING!
Noah's birthparents, Katie and Drew.  They rock.
The two beautiful women who love Noah the most.

It was an amazing weekend and it was really special to have Katie and Drew here supporting the adoption finalization and showing their continued love and support for Rachel, Ryan, and precious little Noah.  Open adoptions are a very new concept to me, but I have been very impressed with the way that all of the parties involved in this one have handled everything.  I think it will be hugely beneficial to Noah to have Rachel and Ryan love and appreciate his birthparents so much and for them to have such open communication.  I must say, I think Rachel is so awesome.  I know that this is a complicated relationship and situation for everyone involved, but Rachel is such a master at opening her heart and home to love and welcoming in everyone who wants to love Noah and be involved in his life.  She always says that she and Ryan feel that the more people who want to love Noah the better.  I think any adoptive parent would feel that way, but I think it would make many adoptive parents---especially moms---very nervous to actually put it into action in such an open and consistent way.  Ryan is obviously awesome and comfortable with all of this as well, but Rachel is the facilitator who really keeps the lines of communication open and makes all of the visits and things happen.  I feel like I know Katie and Drew so well because of all they have been through with Rach and Ry and because of Katie's awesome guest posts on Rachel's blog, as well as the magic of Facebook of course, so it was so fun to be able to meet them and hug them in person.  It made me love them even more!  Katie is so beautiful, gracious, and poised, and Drew is so warm and jolly.  Noah has inherited some excellent DNA!  :)

Do you think this child is loved?!  

I am so grateful for Noah, my little Fat Face!  He has been very challenging and colicky for the first six months of his life, but during this weekend he was suddenly angelic for three big days of events in a row, and he has been delightfully happy ever since!  It was an Adoption Weekend Miracle!  :)  I love to see him grin and roll all over the floor.  He is such a joy and such a blessing to our family.  Thank you, Katie and Drew, for allowing Rachel and Ryan the privilege of being Noah's parents.  I must say, you chose the perfect home for him to join.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks for the beautiful post!! I can't believe you got around to blogging about Noah's Big Weekend before I did!! I need to get my act together!

I love Fat Face and he loves you!!

Laura said...

I love Fat Face too!!! Glad I got to be there for the fun (although I do NOT look happy in that last picture). :)

xo

Sarah said...

So sweet!! Oh man, he is such a cute lil' thing. Thanks for sharing this awesome story, and congrats to your sis and her husband. And hooray for Adoption Weekend Miracles! :)