Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Longing

Today I am missing St. Louis so much that it hurts.  You know that literal, tangible feeling of emptiness and longing that you get inside when you are overcome with powerful emotions?  Maybe you don't, but I do.  I feel like my emotions and my physical state of being are abnormally connected.  Especially when sorrow is involved.  Depression is a physical feeling, and I don't think that's just me talking.  But, don't worry, I wouldn't go so far as to say that I am incredibly depressed right now, I'm just melancholy and longing.  Do you ever get that way?  Longing for things that once were?  During my first years of teaching I felt that way about the carefree joy of living with my girlfriends and flirting and partying and having fun during college, but now those days seem so far gone that they are just a happy, distant memory.  I suppose our time in St. Louis will be the same way eventually, but for now those memories are recent, fresh, and raw.

I miss it.  I miss our neighborhood.  I miss the food.  I miss our crappy apartment with the charming lobby, terrifying elevator, crowne moldings, and fabulous views.  I miss taking walks around the neighborhood with my boys just to look at the lovely old architecture of the homes---and possibly to talk ourselves into stopping at one of the restaurants or cafes for a bite to eat.  I miss Forest Park.  I miss Demun Playground.  I miss the Thomas' pool and their doting love and affection, as well as Jane's listening ear.  I miss running into my adorable aunt and her jumpy poodle, Charlotte, in our neighborhood, both of whom Callum adored and who spoiled us rotten.  I miss the amazing children's museum and its affordable membership.  I miss the incredible zoo that was free to all and only a five minute drive from our home.  Most of all, I miss my friends.  I miss "nap parties."  I miss watching our kids play together.  I miss crafting together.  I miss late nights laughing and talking about nothing.  I miss our outings that we took every. single. day.  I miss going to church and being surrounded by friends my age in my exact stage of life.  Those girls got me through some rough times, and I hope that I did the same for them.  We all grew together and really became genuine grown-ups together.  We all became moms together and helped one another figure it out.

There is nothing wrong with where I am at now.  I am living in my dad's beautiful, large home, rent free.  We are borrowing his second car, so we no longer have to share our Civic.  The weather here is so amazing compared to the Midwest.  I am finally pregnant again.  I have old friends, a few new friends, and, most importantly, family here.  But it's not the same.  It's a new stage of life.  A new chapter.  Maybe even a new book in the series.  And I, for one, am someone who never wants a good book to end.  I always long to go back into the pages, and so I just reread them again and again.  If only you could do that with the happiest stages of your life . . .

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I totally know what you mean, Sis!! Change is tough. I hate it.

Sis. Stokes said...

Me too! I've actually felt pretty strongly that I need to go back to Nauvoo and really soak it all in with different eyes. Mature(ish), "gown-up" eyes. I really need to get back into scrapbooking again so that I CAN look back at the pages of the happiest times. :-p I'm just an email away if ya need anything.

Amber and The Boys said...

I know it too. I ached for Wisconsin after we left it for a long time. Eventually I moved on-still miss it but not so powerfully. I find myself sort of doing that with San Diego though not as strongly because I never had quite such close connections. Sigh. It's hard huh? I am happy that we are hopefully permanent now and throwing myself in with both feet because hopefully the friends I make here will be for the long haul.

Madelyn said...

with tears in my eyes, I am so there as well! As many times as I've moved, it always amazes me how long it is empty feeling. But it only takes one good friend in your new town to make life better, I've decided. I still really miss St. Louis and I sing its praises to everyone who asks. It feels like everywhere else I live will be a let down in the 'affordable things to do with small children' category after awesome St. Louis. Sigh.

Kev and Chels said...

Aww. I hear ya! that was a good, good time! i wish i'd gotten to hang out with YOU more before we left. i have a friend whose hubby is in school, he's almost done actually, and she's never been able to embrace it. when i feel sad for things and times gone by, i try to remind myself how lucky i was/am to have found such wonderful friends and to have felt such joy there. i guess maybe it's better to be passionate about each stage you move on from then to never feel much at all for any of them, even though it hurts to leave them behind. it'll dull with time - and what wonderful associations we have from there!

Marie said...

WE MISS YOU TOO!!!

Marissa Maxfield said...

This kind of made me cry because I know just how you feel! Jake and I have moved so much that sometimes I would just LONG for the times when I had really close friends nearby who you weren't just barely getting to know me and who I am. But, I believe that life is full of great opportunities and there is so much greatness in store for you! I love you Sary and wish I was closer to Colorado!